Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Whole New World

I've learned a few things while being here in Medford, OR. You see, I've never traveled alone for longer than two days. Being here for almost four days has been a real eye opener. I've been here for a work business trip. The training has been great and slightly really boring. But the people I've been working with are super nice.
I am a Utah girl and I will always be a Utah girl. I grew up in the Utah "bubble" and am grateful for that. None of my friends drank coffee, did drugs, or drank alcohol. Those things weren't prevalent growing up. Even when I moved to Cedar City, I didn't really see a difference. But boy, this week sure was an eye opener. I was the only LDS girl from Utah at training. The only one who didn't have their morning coffee. The only one who opted out of going to a bar for a beer. I was the only who didn't swear.
Everyone talked about their favorite beers, their love for Starbucks coffee, and gambling In fact, their conversations were pretty entertaining. They were so kind though! Some of the nicest people I've ever met! They always invited me to go to dinner or to the local bar in town. I always went to lunch and dinner with them but declined on the bar offer. They were kind enough to bring me back to the hotel each night after dinner. They never questioned me why I don't drink or why I don't "party" with them. They always respected me.
I work with some of the nicest people in the world! We just have different standards. That's totally okay! I don't judge them and they don't judge me.
It felt good to get out of my comfort zone! This trip really made me appreciate the gospel! I have never really been put out of my element like this before. This experience helped me solidify what I truly believe in. My testimony had never been tested this way and I felt so proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
I am so grateful that I could be here in Oregon to learn and grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually! Happy Thursday, life is beautiful!