Monday, December 12, 2011

Service

On Saturday night, I had the opportunity to go to a rest home and visit with people who suffer from dementia. It was a wonderful experience! I was partnered with two ladies.

Bea was wonderful! She didn't talk much, but when she did, I couldn't make out anything she was saying. She loved her doll. She held it tight and would give it kisses and hugs. Just watching her love that baby doll, I couldn't help but wonder what her life was like. My observance had me assuming that she must have been a loving, nuturing woman. I'm sure she was a lovely lady!

Phyllis was wonderful as well! She sang with me. We sang a lot of Christmas carols together. She even helped lead the music. Phyllis loved to giggle. She would giggle when I would smile and laugh. She held my hand while we sang. I didn't want to leave her. She was so cute! And boy can she sing! She's wonderful!

Giving up a Saturday night to go serve was absolutely worth it! I want to go back again!

Christmas time is always a time when I feel more motivated to serve others. After thinking about this, I realized that I want to serve others more often than just once a year. So, I've decided that for the new year, I want to do an act of service each month. So far this is what I have planned:

January: Humanitarian - I either want to collect items to make kits or spend a day down at the center.

February: MTC - I want to volunteer at the MTC at least once a week during this month.

I'm really excited for this! This is going to give me an opportunity to grow, love, and serve those around me. This makes me think of the scripture, Mosiah 2:17.


"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that
ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are
only in the service of your God."


No comments: