Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Heal what has been hurt

"I sat there, graham cracker in hand, and we chatted. What started off as a casual conversation, turned to a heartbreaking cry in frustration. Tears were shed. Many tears were shed. Oh how my heart ached for her. Fast forward a few days and I was set out for some ice cream. It doesn't stop the tears. It doesn't take away the hurt. And it sure doesn't fix the problem, but it's a necessity. Fast forward to today, we were sprawled out on the bedroom floor, listening to Hilary Weeks, "Beautiful Heartbreak." Silent tears. Oh how my heart ached even more for her a week later. Part of me wished it was me going through it again, but this time for her. Song lyrics of Ben Rector played in my head:

Woke up this morning
And I heard the news
I know the pain of a heart break.
 I don't have answers
and neither do you.
I know the pain of a heart break.

This isn't easy.
This isn't clear
and you don't need Jesus
'Til you're here.
Then confusion and the doubts you had
up and walk away
They walk away,
when a heart breaks.

Memories flooded back. Some hurt, but I didn't cry in pain and sorrow. I cried with a smile. I smiled because I knew that I had overcome some pretty tough heart breaks. I had learned from them. I had let go and moved forward with faith. I am happier, more than ever. I walked the long road. I climbed that mountain. And yes, it was a beautiful heartbreak. Each one was beautiful in its own unique way. 

"Mourn with those who mourn" has never meant more to me than it does right now. How grateful I am to mourn with those I love. It creates such a deep connection. I feel like those deep connections make such lasting relationships. I cherish those moments." [July 2014]