Thursday, December 30, 2010

Another chance


We were laughing. Being with my dad was so much fun. We were just enjoying ourselves on our way home. Bam!!! We were hit. Spinning out of control across all four lanes on the freeway. It all happened so fast, but it felt like slow motion. There I saw the diesel not more than ten feet away, charging at us in the far left lane. We're goners! This is it, were gonna die! Blink. We were safely pulled over on the far right lane. I'm alive. Daddy and I are both alive! How are we not dead?

We both sat there in awe. Daddy got out of the car and went to talk to the Samoan boy who hit us. He was honest. He explained to dad that his car fifteen passenger car just started to slide and ended up hitting us. I turned around in the car to see what was going on and my dad was smiling and acting friendly. Daddy got back in the car and called the police. Our car had been hit pretty badly and will be going into the shop soon. The police came and told us to go to the Maverick at the next exit so that he could take care of everything.

My dad and I were laughing and talking about the whole situation while we waited for the police at the gas station. We couldn't find our insurance card so my dad made a quick call to State Farm and our agent quickly came and dropped off a paper to validate that we had insurance on our car. I am so proud of my dad. He not only saved our lives by his quick thinking, but he was defending the young guy to the police about the situation. Unfortunately that Samoan guy got a ticket, but I am so glad that he was honest. After everything was over, we just wanted to get home safe. We are both sore, especially dad. Tomorrow we see a doctor to get check ups. According to my mom whiplash can be a permanent thing. Though you may not feel anything, whiplash can cause permanent damage. Earlier, it hurt to breathe but now I am just sore on my left side of my back and neck, but hey it could have been worse right?

I am lucky to be alive. This situation was not exaggerated in any way. How did we not get hit by the diesel who was not more than ten feet away? How did we get safely across the freeway to pull over when there were so many cars behind? How did we survive after being spun around like crazy through all four lanes of traffic? I know that we had angels there to help us! We were not alone during the whole thing. Angels sent from my Heavenly Father helped us. I know it! We were being watched over and protected! I will forever be grateful!

Lessons learned. I only have one life. One chance to do what I was called to do here on this earth. This was a wake up call that I cannot take this life for granted. Life is good, life is oh so good! It cannot be spent arguing with those I love, but rather to love and build them up. It can't be spent just coasting through each day, but rather spending each day in service towards those whom I associate with. This experience has once again confirmed to me that there is a God. He loves me and watches over me. In the back of my mind during the wreck, I knew that it was not my time to go. I haven't fulfilled the work that I came to this earth for. I still have a life to live, things to do, dreams to fulfill, people to love and serve, lessons to learn.

Families are eternal. Even if both my dad and I were killed, it would not be the end of our family. My parents were sealed for time and all eternity 35 years ago and one day our family will be together forever. Life is good, life is oh so good. I am so grateful for the life that I have. I am so grateful that I was adopted and am a part of my family. I know that God carefully put my family together. He didn't just choose random people to form a family. Each family was carefully chosen. I am grateful that I have angels and a loving Heavenly Father who look out for me and my family and loved ones! My one chance at life will forever be spent serving my Heavenly Father, family, and all those whom I associate with.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I am glad you are both alive and hope all goes well with your check ups! It was good to see you at the family party too :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, these were tough times. I am so glad you wrote everything down. I have the worst memory and I never write things down. I must be crazy. I am so glad you and dad were saved and dad made it through the up coming months too. What a rough year. Love you Mar li Kay