Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Vulnerable and Free

"I sat there at the table under the dim street light. It was quiet. Quiet enough for me to open my heart to Him. I stared at my journal as I quietly prayed. Then I opened it up and pulled out a paper and started to write. It was like my heart vomited all over the paper. The exposure and vulnerability was all out on the table. I didn't care. It was a necessary step and I was ready to take it. Finally, I was ready to be brave and to free myself. Two and half hours later, I put my pencil down and took a deep breath. My heart was bursting. I was free. It felt good to finally be free. Call me brave, because I am. Free. Brave. Happy." [June 2014]


“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” - C.S. Lewis